Labs, Lectures, and Libraries

STEM spaces in the Orange Bubble

Photos by Candace Do, Angel Kuo, and Timothy Park

Web design by Brian Tieu and Andrew Yang

Photo by Brian Tieu

Princeton has long been a powerhouse in STEM. The halls which house these departments are well-known to students and contain academic and research facilities. Explore our photo essay to see where students in STEM learn and work.

FRICK CHEMISTRY LABORATORY

In 1929, Princeton's first chemistry laboratory was constructed. Over eight decades later, the Princeton Department of Chemistry opened a new building to cultivate information that changes the world and the minds of the students. From there, the new Frick Chemistry Laboratory was born. The design of the atrium brings natural light into shared spaces both inside and outside the lab.

A glass atrium space with desk and red chairs on the ground and several white globular suspended sculptures,

Photo by Angel Kuo

A girl with a flower shirt and goggles types onto a laptop, another girl in a white sweater and personal protective equipment is working with laboratory equipment,

Photo by Angel Kuo

A man in a blue lab coat in a green chair has his arms underneath a lab hood.

Photo by Angel Kuo

MCCOSH HALL

Over the years, McCosh Hall 50, the largest lecture hall on campus, has hosted regular academic lectures as well as the talks of distinguished speakers including Albert Einstein, Robert Frost, Toni Morrison, and T.S. Eliot. The lecture hall was renovated during 2019–2020 to revamp its sound and HVAC systems, as well as repaint the original wood from when McCosh was first constructed in 1907.

A picture focused on a microphone above a stand in a wooden lecture hall.

Photo by Candace Do

A view of two levels of wooden seats in a lecture hall.

Photo by Candace Do

MATH & PHYSICS COMPLEX

The math and physics department have always been close not just in an academic sense, but also a physical one. The original Fine Hall (Department of Mathematics) and the Palmer Physical Laboratory are today more commonly known to us as Frist Campus Center and the adjoined Jones Hall. In the 1960s, the two departments were relocated to a corner of campus in which Fine Hall, Jadwin Hall (not pictured), the Lewis Library, and the Engineering Library are all connected. While these spaces are primarily known for housing the heart of much of Princeton's STEM research, they also offer spaces for students to study, or even join faculty for afternoon tea everyday at 3:30 p.m. in the Fine Hall Lounge.

A student does work at a desk, with several blue chairs in the foreground

Photo by Angel Kuo

An above-view of lights above a basement workspace that has orange chairs and white tables.

Photo by Angel Kuo

A man walks across a brown outdoor corridor, a girl enters a building in the background.

Photo by Angel Kuo

Two students stand in front of a glass panel with the words

Photo by Angel Kuo

A lounge area with gray sofas, brown tables, red chairs, and two paintings.

Photo by Angel Kuo

A person with a green sweater and white baseball cap walk towards the camera, foreground has a blue chair, red chair, and yellow chair.

Photo by Angel Kuo

A view of a workspace with rolling chairs and wooden desks and hanging pole lights.

Photo by Angel Kuo

FRIST CAMPUS CENTER

Room 302 in the Frist Campus Center is where Albert Einstein taught classes when the campus center was formerly the Palmer Physical Laboratory. Today, the room continues to be used as a classroom. Shown here is ART 102: An Introduction to the History of Architecture, taught by Professors Basile Baudez (shown) and Samuel Holzman. Little has changed in the classroom since Einstein taught here; the old wooden seats and layout of the classroom remain, though the room has new audio-visual technology.

A student in a knit hat and black puffer jacket write on an iPad, while a man in brown pants and a navy sweater lectures in the background

Photo by Timothy Park

A man in brown pants, navy sweater, and glasses gives a lecture in front of a chalkboard.

Photo by Timothy Park

SCHULTZ & THOMAS LABORATORY

Both the Lewis Thomas Laboratory and the Schultz Laboratory were designed by Robert Venturi ’47 *50 in the 1970s. The Lewis Thomas Laboratory was the first to be built in the late 1970s, a time when molecular biology began to gain traction and importance within academia as a discipline. Just a few years prior, the University, missing the growing trend of molecular biology, had allowed top members of the department to leave. Today, both buildings flank McCosh Walk, the first of the STEM buildings that students encounter as they make their way to classes.

A view of a non-hooded lab workspace full of equipment.

Photo by Angel Kuo

A girl with black and yellow braids and blue safety gloves runs an experiment at a black desk.

Photo by Angel Kuo

A man with a gray shirt in an empty office with headphones looks into a microscope.

Photo by Angel Kuo

A woman in a white lab coat and blue safety gloves walks towards an aisle of a non-hooded lab space.

Photo by Angel Kuo

ENGINEERING QUADRANGLE

Students work on a fluids experiment in MAE 224: Integrated Engineering Science Laboratory. Many School of Engineering and Applied Science (SEAS) classes, including MAE 224, take place in the Engineering Quadrangle, nicknamed the E-Quad. Though SEAS was founded in 1921 and originally housed in Green Hall, the E-Quad was not built until 1962 when a need to expand arose.

A grouping of PVC tubes are connected and submerged in water with several students in the background.

Photo by Candace Do

FRIEND CENTER

Friend 101 is the 250-seat auditorium located within the Friend Center, one of the many buildings that make up the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences (SEAS). The Friend Center was originally meant to be a space where both A.B. and B.S.E. students could come together. The Dean of SEAS at the time, James Wei, called it the "crossroad where all Princeton students should gather and learn together."

Long exposure of students walking out of a lecture hall.

Photo by Angel Kuo

A student in a brown jacket and a black backpack walks down stairs of a lecture hall.

Photo by Angel Kuo