50 Years of Coeducation

Fifty years ago, the Class of 1973 graduated from Princeton, among them the first class of women to be admitted as first-years to the University. In this issue, we celebrate that historic class and hear from its alumni.

As Editor-in-Chief Rohit Narayanan writes in a letter, "The history should not be meaningless. We can use that lens to reflect on the debates that captivate Princeton today. Maybe it might help us decide how we should proceed to best meet its ideals."

Flip through our project, designed after the 1973 Nassau Herald, to explore the articles in the issue.

The 2023
Daily Princetonian
Special Issue
Dedicated to the Co-Ed Classes Since Nineteen Hundred and Seventy Three
Princeton Univerity
News
  Five women from the Class of 1973 spoke with the ‘Prince’ on being a part of the first four-year class of women at the University and reflected on their generally positive experience as students.
Archives
  In the spring of 1967, University President Robert Goheen ’40 thought he was off-the-record in an interview with Bob Durkee ’69 for The Daily Princetonian. He was wrong.
Data
  Women in the Class of 1973 mainly hailed from the East Coast, particularly New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania.
Opinion
  “While Princeton often begs us to think about the future, there are not enough offerings to realistically support women in this endeavor.”
Archives
  Thirty years since the New Jersey Supreme Court ruled against Princeton’s last all-male eating clubs, The Daily Princetonian takes a retrospective look at the fight that won women full access to Prospect Avenue.
News
  Nancy Weiss Malkiel sat down with the ‘Prince’ to discuss joining the faculty in 1969, when women were first admitted to the University, and her thoughts on the history of coeducation at Princeton.
Opinion
  “In the two years since I passed through FitzRandolph Gate, I’ve found a kind, caring, and inclusive queer community. Yet I’ve never felt a real sense of lesbian or sapphic community on campus. This is not because of a lack lesbian or sapphic women on campus; I’ve made a number of lesbian and sapphic friends. That these beautiful and essential sapphic friendships do, in fact, exist, makes the absence of a community all the more noteworthy and painful.”
Archives
  "Princeton has a rich history of producing great women leaders and scholars — Sonia Sotomayor ’76, Elena Kagan ’81, Lisa Jackson ’86 — the list is endless. However, too often, the narrative of women at Princeton neglects the true legends, the forgotten women who broke down inequities on campus and paved the way for Princeton students like myself. I would like to take this space to say 'thank you.'"
Web Design and Development by Associate Web Editor Vasila Mirshamsova